If you are a father looking to establish your rights to visitation and custody with regard to your child, Bothell paternity attorney Richard J. Moore can assist you. We provide clear-headed and experienced family law services to clients throughout King and Snohomish counties.

The Law Office of Richard J. Moore, LLC, has been representing clients in family law matters for more than 30 years. Contact our law firm online or call 425-482-0700 to discuss your specific family law concerns.

How Paternity Is Established and Challenged

A paternity action is commenced when the parents of a child are not married but need to establish the identity of the parents. The easiest way to establish paternity is a voluntary acknowledgement. A court can also require DNA testing if paternity is challenged by either party in the parentage action.

Parental Responsibilities and Paternity Testing

In Washington, as in other states, fathers are required to pay their share of child support regardless of whether they are or were married to the child's mother. Unmarried fathers also have a right to residential time with the child(ren). Once paternity is established, the father must pay support, if ordered by the court, and also has the right to residential (parenting) time if the court agrees that it is in the best interest of the child(ren).

The state of Washington has held that it is in the best interests of the children to have both parents active in their lives whenever possible. Through a parenting plan that provides regular residential time, unmarried fathers can establish the bonds of a father-child relationship. Attorney Richard J. Moore can help you develop and negotiate such a plan, as well as assist you should the case be required to go before a judge.

Contact Our Kenmore, Washington Lawyer

Whether you need guidance during the initial determination of parentage or DNA tests, or if you need assistance with a parenting plan or modification of a support order, we have the experience and knowledge to help you address your issues as quickly and effectively as possible.

Contact our King County law firm online or call 425-482-0700 to discuss your specific child support concerns.