Spousal Support

If you are going through a divorce, you should be aware of the rules regarding maintenance (spousal support or alimony).

At the Law Office of Richard J. Moore, LLC, we can help you understand the spousal support process, calculate the appropriate amount that you should pay or receive and engage in the settlement process with the other party. We understand that divorce is an emotional time. Our clear-headed attorney and staff can help you make the right choices.

Bothell spousal support lawyer Richard J. Moore has more than 30 years of experience in the field of family law. Contact our law firm online or call 425-482-0700 to learn more about how we can help you reach your goals.

What Is Maintenance (Spousal Support or Alimony)?

Spousal support is maintenance or alimony and refers to payments from one spouse to the other in a divorce proceeding. Spousal support can also be ordered starting from the point after filing when the spouses have separate residences. The amount and duration of maintenance will depend on the circumstances of each case.

How Is the Amount of Spousal Maintenance Determined?

Maintenance can be agreed between the parties at the time of separation or divorce. However, if the parties are unable to come to an agreement, the judge in your divorce case will decide the issue. There is no set formula for determining spousal support. The judge will review the case and make a determination based on a number of factors. Some of these include:

  • The duration of the marriage
  • The relative income of each spouse
  • Which spouse supports the children
  • Each spouse's ability to earn an income
  • The standard of living shared by the couple during the marriage
  • The division of marital property
  • The age and health of each of the spouses

Agreeing on a spousal support arrangement that is fair to each spouse can be very difficult. If you are going through the divorce process and need help negotiating an agreement with your spouse or his or her representative, attorney Richard J. Moore can help. He can review your case, explain your rights, and discuss real options based on your specific circumstances and requirements.

Our Family Law Attorney Knows How to Help You

In addition to the initial negotiation and settlement of the maintenance order, we also represent people wishing to modify or change the terms of their spousal maintenance agreement. Circumstances such as an unexpected job loss, a sudden illness or other serious change in our clients' situations can precipitate the need to review and revise the existing order. If you find yourself in that situation, contact our attorney to determine your rights.

Contact Our Kenmore, Washington, Maintenance Lawyer Today

For assistance in determining, negotiating or modifying an agreement for maintenance (spousal support), contact our King County family law firm online or call attorney Richard J. Moore at 425-482-0700 to schedule a consultation.